Welcome, Unregistered.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:19 PM   #1
MightyMouse

Smile Summit/ Dart Chevy vortec cylinder head port match

A customer of mine has selected a set of Summit/Dart vortec cylinder heads for a retro 302 build I am doing for him. The reason for the selection of these particular heads is the potential exceptional air flow of a vortec intake port, and a slightly smaller intake valve to help bring the powerband into a more useable range (2500 RPM to around 6700 RPM). The intake ports in these heads appears to be more conventional in layout, and does not have the vortec design. I am currently in the process of port matching these heads with an SCE gasket to match an air gap intake I have already worked. My question is what are some areas in the intake ports that need to be left alone? I had it in mind to just shape them as vortec ports, but upon tracing, I found that the ports match the gaskets better upside down. I have already raised the roofs on the exhaust ports. The cam I am using is a vintage #2178 LT-1 solid grind with 242 @.050, .459 lift intake, 254 @ .050, 485 lift exhaust. Thanks!
MightyMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:15 AM   #2
MightyMouse

Default Over your head....

Well, I became a member of The Dart Board because I thought that there might be some people with some real knowledge about real technical subjects like cylinder head flow to engage in some intelligent conversation about engines. I guess this forum stuff isn't all it's cracked up to be. I would guess that all the established members just talk with each other about their "stuff". At the very least, just let me know what I did to cause you to ignore my post. Thanks!
Old 03-24-2012, 11:41 PM   #3
SAJOMATIC

It seems to me that this board is like every other one. You have the ones that post the most and think they know it all. Once you disagree with one of them your screwed. Look at the actual time that they post messages. It is all over the clock. I think the only thing they do is sit in front of the computer and races to see who will post first. Once you outsmart one of them, you are done here. I dont have the time to sit in front of the computer all day. I am sure there are plenty of people out there that have won more races than them and did it by thinking outside the goddam box!!!! I used to post on an f body forum. There was this guy that kept telling us how fast his car was. My car doesnt have a hood and he actaully called it ghetto on the forum. I bet him $500 and me making over a 500 mile round trip to race him. I never seen anyone dissapear from a forum soo quick. One of his friends told me he was really sore about me making him look like an ass. I look at things this way-If everyone in the world thought the same-Wouldnt it be a boring ass world????

Last edited by SAJOMATIC; 03-24-2012 at 11:53 PM.
SAJOMATIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:21 AM   #4
MightyMouse

I know exactly what your talking about. The people that have always done something bigger and better then someone else, and you can't get a word in edgewise. That crap bugs the shit out of me. I apologize for insinuating that that is all some people do is sit in front of a computer. I guess I thought that maybe there was some Dart tech people on the board that would answer quicker. Please know that I am not one of those people that is going to insult anybody. I am here to learn.... And if someone wants advice on something, I will do my best to give a no BS answer. Thank you for the reply! J
Old 03-25-2012, 06:13 AM   #5
lun40119

I am a keyboard racer..............

I have only made one pass.............I just haven't updated my sig since the last first pass.

3V Performance 23 Pumpgas 402
1.321 60'
6.143 @ 110.46
9.754 @ 136.30
1st Place Drag Week 2012 SB/NA
2nd Place Drag Week 2011 SB/NA
http://www.youtube.com/user/excedrin.../4/v1Tff2or1oY
lun40119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:56 PM   #6
chevman24

Sarcasm is used without caution on this board!! Right Jake?

Per the op's question.... I cant answer your question about head flow characteristics. Its beyond my knowledge but......I can tell you this is one of the better forums I am a part of. It might take some time for someone to reply (because many of them actually race and build cars) but most of the knowledgeable on this board that have the ability to answer your question will do something better than just give you the answer. They will walk you through the process to figure it out in many cases. Have patience.
chevman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:02 PM   #7
MightyMouse

Default Port match turns involved.

On these Dart/Summit Vortec heads, I have decided to Mark the gasket pattern, and reshape the port contour according to my knowledge of how a factory Vortec port is contoured. If anyone actually reads this post, Let me give you some food for thought for ingestion, and resolution. The Dart/Summit Vortec cylinder head out of the box does not have any port features of a factory vortec head. In fact, it appears that the general shape of the ports was copied from the original non-vortec heads. Strangely, the Vortec gaskets matched better upside down. These heads were cheap. And rightfully so if they were ment for stock rebuilds. But even then, shouldn't the ports at least be shaped Correctly? The ports were so short, that after they were cast, they were angle drilled if you will , on the roof, as to not totally block off the incoming intake charge. I don't have a flow bench, but i do have a strong sense from my experience with cylinder heads. My intuition tells me that these heads, after I reshape all the intake ports and smooth the pockets, and raise the exhaust ports and smooth the pockets there, will be volumetric for a good street performance 302 CID small block with a "mild" solid camshaft. I imagine that if these heads were more evolved in port layout, and CNC'd form Dart, They would be right up there in marketability. But there are too few people with the patience to do what I am doing. I enjoy it! Input is very welcome. J
Old 07-04-2012, 03:41 PM   #8
verroz

Quote:
Originally Posted by lun40119 View Post
I am a keyboard racer..............

I have only made one pass.............I just haven't updated my sig since the last first pass.
Man i miss my 67, very very nice looking car,Am missing mine now,I have a 91 camaro now.Take car of that baby
verroz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 03:44 PM   #9
verroz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouse View Post
On these Dart/Summit Vortec heads, I have decided to Mark the gasket pattern, and reshape the port contour according to my knowledge of how a factory Vortec port is contoured. If anyone actually reads this post, Let me give you some food for thought for ingestion, and resolution. The Dart/Summit Vortec cylinder head out of the box does not have any port features of a factory vortec head. In fact, it appears that the general shape of the ports was copied from the original non-vortec heads. Strangely, the Vortec gaskets matched better upside down. These heads were cheap. And rightfully so if they were ment for stock rebuilds. But even then, shouldn't the ports at least be shaped Correctly? The ports were so short, that after they were cast, they were angle drilled if you will , on the roof, as to not totally block off the incoming intake charge. I don't have a flow bench, but i do have a strong sense from my experience with cylinder heads. My intuition tells me that these heads, after I reshape all the intake ports and smooth the pockets, and raise the exhaust ports and smooth the pockets there, will be volumetric for a good street performance 302 CID small block with a "mild" solid camshaft. I imagine that if these heads were more evolved in port layout, and CNC'd form Dart, They would be right up there in marketability. But there are too few people with the patience to do what I am doing. I enjoy it! Input is very welcome. J
Am about to match my dart 230 to my intake and surgessions?will be my frist matching job.Stock 91 tpi manafold.(350)
verroz is offline   Reply With Quote