Welcome, Unregistered.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Old 03-29-2012, 01:46 PM   #1
pschnick

Default Wheel hop

I am sure I will be leaving info out so if there is anything else please ask.

I have an 82 Trans Am, I had a 9" floater rear end built for it over the winter. They jigged up my old rear end, cut off the mounts and welded them to the new Ford housing.

I have solid, boxed inlower control arms, and an adjustable torque arm. With the factory set up I had no wheel hop,

Now I have crazy wheel hop, would wrong pinion angle cause this?? If so what it the correct way to figure that out to make sure I am at where I am suppose to be.

Or if there is anything else that could cause this I am all ears!!

Thanks guys, Perry
pschnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:24 PM   #2
want-a-be

Quote:
Originally Posted by pschnick View Post
I am sure I will be leaving info out so if there is anything else please ask.

I have an 82 Trans Am, I had a 9" floater rear end built for it over the winter. They jigged up my old rear end, cut off the mounts and welded them to the new Ford housing.

I have solid, boxed inlower control arms, and an adjustable torque arm. With the factory set up I had no wheel hop,

Now I have crazy wheel hop, would wrong pinion angle cause this?? If so what it the correct way to figure that out to make sure I am at where I am suppose to be.

Or if there is anything else that could cause this I am all ears!!

Thanks guys, Perry
Did you change rear springs or shocks when you put this new rear end in? What pinion angle did you go with?

Even though this is a torque arm system in the rear end,.... it will still have an instant center along with an ic height. Especially since the touque arm is adjustable. But I guess it depends on how it is adjustable.

Look at adjusting this much like a 4 link rear suspension imo.

Don
want-a-be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 12:54 PM   #3
pschnick

Same shocks and springs as before, The way I set up the pinion angle should be at 2 degrees down.

The torque arm is pretty much the adjustability for the pinion angle. Stand on it from a dead stop, it wheels hops pretty good, And if you power brake and do a good ole smokey burn out it hops at the end

I am going to bring it back up to where they did the rearend, got some other issues to work out too
Old 08-07-2012, 11:02 PM   #4
Gthphtm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pschnick View Post
Same shocks and springs as before, The way I set up the pinion angle should be at 2 degrees down.

The torque arm is pretty much the adjustability for the pinion angle. Stand on it from a dead stop, it wheels hops pretty good, And if you power brake and do a good ole smokey burn out it hops at the end

I am going to bring it back up to where they did the rearend, got some other issues to work out too
Are your shocks mounted in the rear set at the middle of there travel or close to being bottomed out ?. They might have not put them in the same location as original.When the rear was done.
Gthphtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 07:06 PM   #5
pschnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gthphtm View Post
Are your shocks mounted in the rear set at the middle of there travel or close to being bottomed out ?. They might have not put them in the same location as original.When the rear was done.
I will double check that, I think they may be closer to being extended all the way, the axle tubes on the 9" are a bigger diameter that the 7.5 was.

I will double check though, Thanks for the reply