Welcome, Unregistered.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Old 07-14-2010, 01:26 PM   #1
underdog

Default Cross link position

Got a question for the chassis guru, or gurus as it where

This weekend at the track I heard my driveshaft hitting my loop. I had put softer springs on the car and just figured they were too soft, 110#. Anyway I raised the back of the car by jacking up on the spring adjusters. On my first pass of the day the car got stupid sideways, and with a stock steering box in a 68 Chevelle I can tell you it was a handfull. Anyway here is the question. I noticed that on my crossbar on the ladder bar rear the bracket that was welded to the lower ladder bar bolt had ripped loose pulling the bolt and plate with it. My question is that crossbar is supposed to be level with the bottom ladder bar correct? Not from the front of the ladder bar to the top attach bolt.

Everyone here says the center section had to have moved and changed the pinion angle but I have checked and the Dana 60 is welded up and I see no cracks anywhere. The only thing I can find wrong is the attach plate for the cross link.
underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:17 PM   #2
ComaxRacing

Default Diagonal Link

That link is to keep the rear suspension centered in the chassis. When you were sideways it pretty much ripped the link bracket off. No real mystery here IMO. But yes that bar has to be level and not at any incline up because that will create a huge bind in your suspension. Basically if it is at an incline the miniute your suspension tries to move it will bind that diagonal link and will eventually break it as you stated. I never liked the weld on brackets, the type that bolt to the bars are simple and can be easily replaced should anything go bad.

Corey
Old 07-15-2010, 04:20 AM   #3
want-a-be

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComaxRacing View Post
That link is to keep the rear suspension centered in the chassis. When you were sideways it pretty much ripped the link bracket off. No real mystery here IMO. But yes that bar has to be level and not at any incline up because that will create a huge bind in your suspension. Basically if it is at an incline the miniute your suspension tries to move it will bind that diagonal link and will eventually break it as you stated. I never liked the weld on brackets, the type that bolt to the bars are simple and can be easily replaced should anything go bad.

Corey
Ditto, I'm betting that when the bracket gave up, your preload changed a ton,...hence the nice long look at the guard rail you were taking.

Don
want-a-be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:15 PM   #4
underdog

Does it make a difference if I put it left to right or right to left?

It's goes from left front to right rear now. It has a 1/2" bolt through it but it sure looks small for the load on it
Old 07-15-2010, 03:23 PM   #5
ComaxRacing

Default Diagonal Link

I usually put them from right rear to left front because the right rear will plant that side of the car. Just my personal preference. As far a bolt diameter, a 1/2" fastener is OK as long its a grade 8 or better. I use 1/2" on my 4-link bars and wishbone but they are all grade 10. Never had a failure, just inspect them once in a while.

I'm starting to change all my fasteners to Nas bolts. This keeps the threads out of the rod ends,and ensures the shank of the bolt is doing all the work. For yours a regular bolt with a long shank will work fine.

Corey

Last edited by ComaxRacing; 07-15-2010 at 03:25 PM.
ComaxRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 03:52 PM   #6
underdog

Thanks,

My grade 8 bolt is fine I'm just worried about that little bracket it goes into
Old 07-15-2010, 03:59 PM   #7
ComaxRacing

Default Track Locator

Here is the bracket type that I use, works great

Track locator bracket

Never had a failure and you can get them in lots of different bolt hole sizes.

Corey
Old 07-16-2010, 07:56 PM   #8
underdog

Thanks Corey,

I don't know if my bracket broke and that turned the car or if the car turned and broke the bracket, you know the old chicken and the egg story.
Old 07-18-2010, 03:08 PM   #9
Awesome Bill

Default suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by underdog View Post
Thanks Corey,

I don't know if my bracket broke and that turned the car or if the car turned and broke the bracket, you know the old chicken and the egg story.
that bar is called the tract locator and is designed to keep your rear dead steady from moving left or right causing the left or right wheel to hit the frame or fender well. It does not preload your chassis @ all. Its main reason is just to keep the rear positioned correctly in the car. A panhard bar does the same thing but goes from the frame to the top of the rear. This does allow the rear to move left and right on the hit and lift of the car because of the rears constant moving up and down. Don't like panhard bars @ all for drag racing.
Awesome Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:41 PM   #10
want-a-be

You're right Bill,...it is only for locating the rear end, but depending on how the brackets are bent. I would think it could change how the weight of the car is distributed to the 4 corner weights. Which equates to changing the preload a round....jmo though

Don
want-a-be is offline   Reply With Quote