Welcome, Unregistered.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Old 03-27-2008, 05:45 PM   #1
beastoakland

Default OPEN chamber vs CLOSED chambers? whats the difference?

Whats the difference btwen open and closed? Which has more power? If i were to get the heads rebuilt for a 1977 454 what will i need to do in order to get more low end torque and top end power?
beastoakland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 11:32 PM   #2
want-a-be

What kind of vehicle are you going to run it in? How much street use/ track use? Are these going to be stock heads or after market?

Thanks, Don

WRCE
want-a-be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 05:38 AM   #3
beastoakland

its going in a 1980 malibu wagon, only street use or get on the highway and blastoff to the next state only to stop for gas. It doesnt matter the type of heads. I want to know which direction should i go....
Old 03-28-2008, 10:33 AM   #4
want-a-be

open chamber imo. the larger oval ports will do you just fine. put the larger valves in them. This would be done to the stock heads.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:51 AM   #5
Awesome Bill

A nice set of semi open chambered heads work very well and are available. This will raise your compression from 8-1 to about 9-9.8/1. you can rebuild these and use them for a huge amount of power from what you will have. Nothing else to do but set up the springs for the cam you want and if you want, have them bowl ported and cleaned up, they make great power. Fully closed chambered heads would make way more power. They do have to be upgraded to unleaded fuel specs. So what ever you get, the closed chambered bathtub heads will make the best bang for the buck and you can get them on ebay cheap and have them done up right from someone like myself that still brings the dead back from the scrap iron grave. These will most likely put you over 10-1 compression. High Test Area but will make killer power.
Awesome Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 06:36 PM   #6
beastoakland

Thanks wantabe, Bill and others......... What is the ballpark price to rebuild these heads so i wont get hammer at the shop...The reason i wont go with the heads i have on the 77 454 is because its peanut ports...To make sure im gonna check myself. Can i go with the aftermarket DART heads if so what would be best.....308cc??
Old 03-28-2008, 10:06 PM   #7
want-a-be

You might get off cheaper with the rebuild of the stock heads....But, if you go with the Dart heads you'll be getting a new set of heads, with new guides in them already, with new seats, valves, springs, retainers, keepers, castings, and they should out preform the stock stuff. For not much more than rebuilding the old ones. If we were talking about small block stuff I could also add that they are more crack resistant then the stock ones by far.

If you have $500ish in rebuilding the old heads, then add in the cost of the old head cores, new valves, Springs, retainers, and keepers your almost up to the price of the new heads.

Sure I loose some money by guiding my customers this way, but they get the best bang for their buck in the long run. I'd go with the 308s and not look back. Better piece of mind also.

Thanks, Don

WCRE
Old 03-29-2008, 12:22 AM   #8
beastoakland

thanks... i will purchase these heads....what else do i need to change cam,pushrods,rockers,lifters,and im changing intake and carb anyway.
Old 03-29-2008, 04:26 AM   #9
want-a-be

What is your budget for this build? Then I/we can help more.

Thanks, Don

WCRE
Old 03-29-2008, 05:47 AM   #10
beastoakland

well the machine shop said for a stock rebuild starts @ $1900+...... im not sure if its including heads...im gonna start out with a budget of $3200....i will spend money on parts that will make power i.e heads,cam,intake.