Welcome, Unregistered.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:27 PM   #1
SUX 2BU

Default Dart-recommended spark plug discrepancy

Iron Eagle S/S 165cc, 72cc chamber 1.94/1.50 heads. The sheet that came with my heads lists Autolite 132 plugs, along with 3 Champions and an AC plug. The specs here on the site only list the Autolite 133 and 13 plugs. Which is correct? Some are projected tip, some are standard tip. What's the difference in performance?

Thanks!
85 Chevy Silverado short, wide, 2wd. Lowered, 60-over 350 with long-tube, small dia. headers, Dart II Sportsman intake, Edelbrock 600 carb, TH350 w/ shift-kit and stock stall, 3.40 12 bolt, 27" tall rear tires, Dart Iron Eagle S/S 165cc runner, 72cc chamber, 1.94/1.50 heads, Comp Camps XE268H cam and a spiffy set of chrome Dart valve covers that I painted the logo yellow.
SUX 2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 11:20 AM   #2
Awesome Bill

The Autolite 132 plug would not last 1 hour with a street tune up. It is way to cold. The first thing we need to know is what compression and fuel your running and hopefully you have a correct fuel consumption or base idle fuel trim right. Here is a standard chart we use.
AR132 High Compression over 14-18/1 with a lot of NOS and good fuel
AR133 High compression from 13 to15/1 with NOS and good fuel
AR134 High compression up to 12-14/ 1 with NOS and decent fuel
AR135 Compression up to 9-12/1 with some NOS and pump gas if you wanted

I personally use the AR134 in my small block that is 12.5/1 with 400 shot of NOS and have no problems with C-16 Fuel and 28 total timing.

With our BBC Camaro 540 Dart Pro 1 CNC 355 head with 600hp 2 stages, we run the AR3932-AR3933. The engine base compression is only 12.5/1. We have cooked a few eggs, but learned quickly not too. So the 2 stages is most dangerous when you think you have enough timing out, most cases you don't. With 1 stage 3400 lbs, the Camaro will run 8.20's all day long with the 10.5x33W and my base tune up. 2 stages, @ a NHRA non related track? Shes fast and street leagel and I run her in the cruizes. No funny car cage is my hold up. I will not do that and try to get in and out of her. Shes only leagel to 8.50's. So thats what we do.
But if you don't have a really high compression engine, the AR132 will not work. If this is a real pump gas 11-1 engine, you could get away with a AR134
Awesome Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 10:59 PM   #3
SUX 2BU

Thanks Bill. 400 shot of juice and 12.5:1 compression... LOL Man I could never imagine having a motor that hairy.

I phoned Dart tech yesterday and they told me since I have an iron head and around 9:1 compression (at best), I should go with an AR 135 plug; a little hotter. I went to my parts vendor and got the equivalent Accel. Not my choice mind you; it was what they had. My motor is probably way more mild than what you are used to building!

What kinda puzzled me though was seeing 2 different recommendations in print and then receiving another different recommendation over the phone. Not a criticism, but plug are still important to a well-tuned engine.
85 Chevy Silverado short, wide, 2wd. Lowered, 60-over 350 with long-tube, small dia. headers, Dart II Sportsman intake, Edelbrock 600 carb, TH350 w/ shift-kit and stock stall, 3.40 12 bolt, 27" tall rear tires, Dart Iron Eagle S/S 165cc runner, 72cc chamber, 1.94/1.50 heads, Comp Camps XE268H cam and a spiffy set of chrome Dart valve covers that I painted the logo yellow.
SUX 2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 11:08 AM   #4
Awesome Bill

You could use any plug from AR132 to AR135, you would have to tune it ofcourse. But, your application will warrant a AR134-AR135. If you have a too large carb or it is not tuned correctly, it will foul any plug you put into it. So any plug that will cross those 2 #'s will work no matter what brand. Spark plugs are spark plugs. They differ very very very little on the dyno. I remember the split fork plug, not mentioning names, that was a joke that cost people HP instead of making power. We actually track tested those things and lost et even when properly being used. Goes to show you, you can sell anything with the right advertisement and the belief that is the new and improved.
Old 04-25-2008, 04:33 PM   #5
4-play

Have you used any e3 plugs?
Are they any good?
They claim 5hp increase???
Old 04-26-2008, 11:43 AM   #6
Awesome Bill

They claim eveything, but they will usually not do as well as a good old stock plug. They always use from worst case to best case. We have never seen that hp with one brand to another spark plug. And as stated before, the split fork plug, aka splitfire actually lost power. So if they back it up with a money back, go for it but test them at the track. Do you realize that the best plug, double platinum, cost about $10 a plug actually has way more resistance that just your Nickel based one!. Yeah go figure. More resistance, hotter your box works as well as the wires, module if using one etc.

An old house the we see on TV that gets "flipped" is as follows, Paint it, put some new trim on it, have an open house to sell and old one fixed up, still an old house. Just because they have changed a few things, does not make it better by any means, just means they have most likely at best patched it up. This has nothing to do with spark plugs, just thought I would throw it in there.