Welcome, Unregistered.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Old 06-07-2011, 01:30 AM   #1
77 racing

Default lifters sticking

ive just recently had my engine builder put me together a dart iron eagle 454 small block due too restrictions we put in a howard flat tappet cam and lifters and after recommened break in and such minimal run time get to race track 7 laps stuck #4 exhaust lifter bent valve grenaded cam and lifter---week later asssuming a chunk of crap caused lifter to stick tore motor completetly down completely cleaned it thoroughly enough to eat off it reassembled with new erson roller cam and pbm lifters same breakin time etc....7 laps later stuck #4 exhaust lifter this time broke valve off ruined piston bent the oliver rod---lifter bores are within spec use valvoline off road oil with zddp in it and morreys engine oil stabilizer----------we are speechless any one have any ideas thanx
77 racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:03 AM   #2
CNC BLOCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 racing View Post
ive just recently had my engine builder put me together a dart iron eagle 454 small block due too restrictions we put in a howard flat tappet cam and lifters and after recommened break in and such minimal run time get to race track 7 laps stuck #4 exhaust lifter bent valve grenaded cam and lifter---week later asssuming a chunk of crap caused lifter to stick tore motor completetly down completely cleaned it thoroughly enough to eat off it reassembled with new erson roller cam and pbm lifters same breakin time etc....7 laps later stuck #4 exhaust lifter this time broke valve off ruined piston bent the oliver rod---lifter bores are within spec use valvoline off road oil with zddp in it and morreys engine oil stabilizer----------we are speechless any one have any ideas thanx
Most flat tappet lifters run bigger then a roller lfiters and lifter bores should be meausre with a bore gauge and clearanced and you should always use a go gauge just to make sure the bores are at least round and no burrs any where.

You can buy a go gauge from PPC in NC.

Any time you stick a lifter its because of interfearance.
CNC BLOCKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 02:22 AM   #3
CNC-MOTORSPORTS

Sounds like you did not clearance the lifter bore to the litters your using.

info@cnc-motorsports.com
http://www.cnc-motorsports.com
http://www.cncraceengines.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oT-LgyvXEg Blown 565 BBC 1300+ Horsepower
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gRvR5G2Q8k LS7 441 Stroker 703 Horsepower
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNqBYtwZ0JY SBF 438 1270 Horsepower Nitrous Engine
CNC-MOTORSPORTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 06:32 AM   #4
Trmnatr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 racing View Post
Lifters have to be tight in there or the lifters could not be round, Measure the taper of the lifters

Sounds like your tight, I would want .002" clearance

I did get the mass email that went out about bill cannon and how his shit blew up, and never made the power that was claimed.
Trmnatr is offline   Reply With Quote